Winners of the 2014 James Beard Foundation Restaurant and Chef Awards were announced at a swank affair in New York, May 5.
Nancy Silverton of LA’s Pizzeria Mozza won for Outstanding Chef, while Pêche Seafood Grill in New Orleans won for Best New Restaurant.
Jimmy Bannos Jr. of Chicago’s The Purple Pig, and Blaine Wetzel of The Willows Inn on Lummi Island, Lummi Island, WA, tied for the Rising Star Chef award.
For the full list of the awards go to jamesbeard.org
Here’s the highlights:
Top Chefs and Restaurants
- Outstanding Chef: Nancy Silverton, Pizzeria Mozza, LA
- Outstanding Pastry Chef: Dominique Ansel, Dominique Ansel Bakery, NYC
- Rising Star Chef: (TIE) Jimmy Bannos Jr., The Purple Pig, Chicago and Blaine Wetzel, The Willows Inn on Lummi Island, Lummi Island, WA
- Outstanding Restaurateur: Barbara Lynch, Barbara Lynch Gruppo, Boston
- Best New Restaurant: Pêche Seafood Grill, New Orleans
- Outstanding Restaurant: The Slanted Door, San Francisco
- Outstanding Service: The Restaurant at Meadowood, St. Helena, CA
Regional Best Chef Awards
- Best Chef: Great Lakes: Dave Beran, Next, Chicago
- Best Chef: Mid-Atlantic: Vikram Sunderam, Rasika, Washington, D.C.
- Best Chef, Midwest: Justin Aprahamian, Sanford, Milwaukee, WI
- Best Chef, New York City: April Bloomfield, The Spotted Pig, NYC
- Best Chef, Northwest: Naomi Pomeroy, Beast, Portland, OR
- Best Chef, West: Daniel Patterson, Coi, San Francisco
- Best Chef, Northeast: Jamie Bissonnette, Coppa, Boston
- Best Chef, South: (TIE) Ryan Prewitt, Pêche Seafood Grill, New Orleans and Sue Zemanick, Gautreau's, New Orleans
- Best Chef, Southeast: Ashley Christensen, Poole's Downtown Diner, Raleigh, NC
- Best Chef, Southwest: Chris Shepherd, Underbelly, Houston, TX
- Outstanding Bar Program: The Bar at the NoMad Hotel, New York City
- Outstanding Wine, Beer, or Spirits Professional: Garrett Oliver, Brooklyn Brewery, Brooklyn, NY
- Outstanding Wine Program: The Barn at Blackberry Farm, Walland, TN